NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In December, Comcast's (CMCSA) NBC unit showcased a live performance of the popular musical The Sound of Music on broadcast television. And, despite some critical griping, it was a big success. Now NBC has announced that it will produce another live musical, Peter Pan Live, to air in December 2014. The launch of these musicals will make for an exciting fiscal 2014 for NBC.
Peter Pan Live will be run by executive producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the same duo behind The Sound of Music Live. That huge television event, starring country music singer Carrie Underwood, had 18.6 million viewers in its premiere and an impressive 22 million when DVR figures were counted through the following three days. The Sound of Music Live also became one of the most tweeted television events, with plenty of praise and scorn alike. The huge viewership gave NBC its biggest Thursday night since the ER finale in 2009.
Along with high viewership numbers from The Sound of Music Live, Comcast also saw nice advertising revenue through a partnership with Wal-Mart (WMT). The television event also saw CDs, DVDs, and international rights sold to increase the overall revenue take.
Comcast's television unit had a poor start to fiscal 2013. But 2014 is looking like it will be a strong year. Through the first nine months of 2013, Comcast had reported $17.2 billion in revenue for its NBC Universal business segment, which includes the NBC brand, several cable channels, a film studio and theme parks. The broadcast cable segment saw revenue fall 21.1% in the first nine months, due to unfavorable comparable numbers from the prior year's Summer Olympics and Super Bowl. The broadcast television segment should get a big boost with the airing of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV