CHICAGO (TheStreet) -- Google makes hundreds of algorithm updates each year. Many go unnoticed by website owners, but the big ones -- Panda, Penguin, Hummingbird -- have had a noticeable impact on page ranks and get the most buzz. Baffled by these changes and unaware when the next update will strike, small-business owners have been forced to reevaluate their SEO strategy.
To understand the interworkings of Google updates, it's important to review the history of SEO. Until the past few years, high search results could be achieved through relatively simple -- though ethically questionable -- means, such as buying backlinks or creating formulaic, keyword-dense copy.
Certain site owners learned quickly that it was easy to "game" the system and get higher search results more quickly than they would letting the site build authority and rank through honest means. But the head honchos running Google are no fools, and the search engine has been redefined through a series of algorithms to penalize "black hat" SEO -- meaning ethically questionable tactics -- and reward quality, white-hat practices.
Now that Google has revolutionized SEO, what does that mean for webmasters and SEO professionals?Relevant and valuable content wins Content is now the driving force in SEO. Content strategy was big before these updates, but previously it was dependent on keyword research. As of Sept. 23, Google Analytics no longer provides keyword data to gain insights to customers' search habits. This change may have been a blow to those who still practiced keyword stuffing, but for those who already have strong content strategies in place, it should be no big deal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV