Faith in Obamacare Isn't Rising Yet, Survey Says
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The federal government announced recently that 2.2 million Americans have signed up for health care on a government exchange, but won't say how many have signed up for exchanged-based plans after being booted from their old plans or how many have signed up but haven't paid.
Worse, of those 2.2 million health care consumers, 55% are between the ages of 45 and 64 and considered "less healthy." Younger, healthier enrollees account for only 24% of all signups, signaling potential problems for the ACA down the road.
In a survey of 4,200 Americans by Woodbury, N.Y's Sterling Healthworks, an online destination for identifying health care costs and plans, millennials and consumers over the age of 55 "are less concerned about costs of care and more concerned about keeping their doctors and hospitals, having access to a wider range of health plans and having more pricing transparency."
According to Sterling, 59% of Americans say their faith in the Affordable Care Act has "not increased" since mid-December to mid-January:
- 29% of Americans between the ages 18 and 34 say they want to see a wider range of health plans for all needs, while respondents age 55 and up say their biggest concern is keeping their doctors and hospitals.
- Twice as many women ages 25 to 34 want to see a wider range of health plans for all needs, compared with men.
- While costs aren't as big a factor as plan advocates and critics thought, four times as many respondents predict that their coverage costs will increase this year than consumers who expect to see a decrease in costs.
- In rural areas, 41% expect their plans to be more expensive than they in 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV