One biopharmaceutical player that's quickly moving within range of triggering a major breakout trade is Ariad Pharmaceuticals (ARIA), an oncology company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of medicines for cancer patients. This stock has been on fire over the last three months, with shares up a whopping 59%.
If you take a look at the chart for Ariad Pharmaceuticals, you'll notice that this has been trending sideways and consolidating over the last month, with shares moving between $5.92 on the downside and $7.75 on the upside. Shares of ARIA are gapping up here and starting to move within range of triggering a major breakout trade above the upper-end of its recent sideways trading chart pattern.>>2 Biotech Stocks Under $10 to Watch Traders should now look for long-biased trades in ARIA if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance at $7.75 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above that level with volume that hits near or above its three-month average volume of 26.20 million shares. If that breakout hits soon, then ARIA will set up to re-fill some of its previous gap down zone from last October that started near $18 a share. If ARIA gets into that gap with strong volume, then this stock could easily tag $10 to $12 a share. Traders can look to buy ARIA off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right around some key near-term support levels at $6.32 or at $5.92 a share. One can also buy ARIA off strength once it starts to take out $7.75 a share with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV