Some publicly traded commodities are making a comeback, though. Cocoa had lost nearly 44% in value in a two-year bearish period (April 2011-March 2013). Since then, the tide has changed considerably. Not only has iPath Pure Cocoa (CHOC) moved 30% higher off of its 2013 lows, but the current price is roughly 10% above its 200-day moving average.
So how might an investor judge whether a new long-term uptrend is for real? Might the price movement be yet another head fake in a viciously deceptive deflationary cycle?
Still, if one combines technical price movement with fundamental data, he/she can make an educated decision about an investment's potential. According to the European Cocoa Association, European chocolate makers increased their processing of cocoa by 6.2% in the final three months of 2013. That data point far exceeded expectations. With traders responding favorably to the data on the chocolate-making ingredient, CHOC may very well make a powerful run at earlier highs set back in 2011.
Even when fundamental data and technical price movement support the notion that an asset type has upside potential, I recommend the use of stop-limit loss orders and/or low-correlating assets. "Stops" can minimize the possibility of large losses while low-correlating assets can reduce portfolio volatility.Follow @etfexpert This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV