SLM (SLM) Marked As Today's Post-Market Laggard
- SLM has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $78.8 million.
- SLM is down 4.2% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SLM with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SLM NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on SLM: SLM Corporation, also known as Sallie Mae, originates, acquires, finances, and services private education loans in the United States. The company operates through three segments: Consumer Lending, Business Services, and FFELP Loans. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.2%. SLM has a PE ratio of 8.6. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate SLM a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for SLM has been 2.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. SLM has a market cap of $11.8 billion and is part of the financial sector and financial services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.21 and a short float of 3.1% with 4.55 days to cover. Shares are up 3.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates SLM as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, notable return on equity and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 41.02% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 51.65% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, SLM should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- SLM CORP has improved earnings per share by 41.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SLM CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.94 versus $1.13 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.95 versus $1.94).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Consumer Finance industry. The net income increased by 38.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $188.00 million to $260.00 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Consumer Finance industry and the overall market, SLM CORP's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full SLM Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts