Why It's a Stock-Pickers Paradise
NEW YORK (The Street) -- Investors who have seen returns hinge on central bank chatter and macro events can take a breather: the stock-pickers market is back.
As fears around Europe's economic stability and a sharp slowdown in Chinese growth recede, the direction of stock prices is increasingly driven by earnings quality and other fundamental factors. Check out the chart below, which shows stock correlation nose-diving.
For investors, this spells a far stronger relationship between the quality of a company and its share price, rather than second-guessing central bank moves. It also means greater differentiation between individual stock prices and general market direction - in other words, less of a free ride from guessing macro-movements with solid rewards for research.
(Isis, Teledyne and Pandora Among Top Small-Cap Picks) In the absence of clear internal factors to justify higher stock prices, investors may well seek companies ripe for merger activity or agitation from activist investors. Those with high cash balances will be increasingly pushed to invest - or return funds to shareholders. -- By Jane Searle in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV