[video] Quick Take: Stocks Stuck in Neutral as Traders Seek Direction
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After having two straight up days, the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 are down and the Nasdaq flat.
Jason Weisberg of Seaport Securities told TheStreet's Debra Borchardt he's surprised by the stagnant price action. He expected equities to have a good start to the new year, driven higher by positive earnings results. Earnings haven't been too bad, Weisberg added.
Borchardt said many money managers use January to put fresh capital to work, which was also expected to help stocks.
But in a way they have helped. Weisberg suggested that while the major indices haven't seen a significant boost higher, a lot of the individual names have done well.
On the days where the market is down, it's not down a lot, he said. That indicates money managers are using the decline to add to positions or create new ones. Without that, equities would likely be much lower on the down days.
As to the earnings reports from large financial institutions, Weisberg said the banks will continue to be profitable in underwriting, M&A advising and asset management while the investment banking business is likely to continue struggling.-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV