NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Nu Skin Enterprises (NUS) plummeted 26.67% to $84.50, down $30.73 from its previous close of $115.23, at the close of the trading day on Thursday after China ordered an investigation into media reports that the company disseminates false information and conducts illegal business in the country, Reuters reported.
The stock had a volume of 22,010,042, more than 15 times its average of 1,398,740. It hit a high of $99.01 and a low of $67.52 for the day.
China's state news agency Xinhua reported that China's State Administration for Industry and Commerce (SAIC) requested that local authorities look into the matter. Xinhua quoted an SAIC spokesman as saying the organization would take legal action against any legal violations if the investigation results proved that the media reports to be true. Canaccord promptly downgraded the stock to hold from buy and lowered its price target to $104 from $140.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV