NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Adobe (ADBE) has been keeping track of evolving 3D printing technologies. Now, it's announced new software features to incorporate the emerging technology into its popular image-editing offerings.
Upon the release of a major update Adobe has added 3D printing to its popular Photoshop Creative Cloud service. The new software allows users to easily "build, refine, preview, prepare and print 3D designs" by pushing the print button.
Shares in Adobe were advancing 0.24% to $61.83 in early morning New York trading.
3D printing is a process of additive manufacturing - creating three-dimensional, solid objects one thin layer at a time. These new computer-controlled printers can create any shape out many materials. The 3D process is different from previous machining techniques which are subtractive processes and actually remove portions of material to shape an object from a solid block.
This is what a 3D printer looks like in action:
Adobe says the latest Photoshop CC supports the most popular desktop 3D printers, including the MakerBot Replicator 2 (as seen in the above video), and the full range of high quality materials. Additional 3D printer compatibility is promised for the near future.
The new software was designed to simplify the complicated process by automatically analyzing the desired model and then going through a number of steps to complete the task.
Product manager Stephen Nielson says you can use Photoshop CC's new features to control a locally connected 3D printer or send the information to an online printing service:
The new Adobe Creative Cloud/Photoshop CC system doesn't cheap. A monthly subscription to it's cloud services costs $50 per month. Using Photoshop CC software in the cloud will set you back $20 each month.
Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV