As America celebrates the start of 2014,
Campbell Soup Company
(NYSE:CPB) celebrates the 80
birthday of its iconic
Condensed Chicken Noodle soup. Originally launched as
Condensed “Noodle with Chicken” soup, it was the first soup of its kind and an important innovation for the food industry. For nearly a century it has been a staple in American kitchens and remains one of the top 10 shelf-stable grocery items purchased in the US. Americans purchased more than 200 million cans of
Chicken Noodle soup in 2013.
soup was created in 1934 by the company’s head chef Ernest Lacoutiere, alongside several other varieties, as a tasty and affordable option. When first introduced the soup sold for between 10 and 12 cents per can and quickly found its way to cupboards and pantries from coast to coast.
“To this day, each can of Campbell’s Condensed Chicken Noodle
reflects the same values that went into its creation 80 years ago,” said Leah Dunmore, Vice President, U.S. Soup, Campbell Soup Company. “Everyone knows there’s nothing quite like the feeling of a heart-warming, delicious bowl of Chicken Noodle
The Story Behind the Name
Condensed Chicken Noodle soup has established itself as part of American culture since its introduction 80 years ago. Here are a few of the key milestones that have contributed to its rich heritage:
- In 1934, Campbell set the standard by introducing the famed Noodle with Chicken soup.
- In 1938, Campbell changed the name of its Noodle with Chicken soup. During a broadcast of a popular radio program, one of the famous on-air personalities misread his copy and called the product Chicken Noodle soup . Within days of the slip, Campbell began receiving large orders for its new product as it began flying off store shelves.
- In 1962, renowned artist Andy Warhol painted the wildly popular 32 Campbell’s Soup Cans, which included Chicken Noodle soup, further establishing the brand in pop culture.
To view the evolution of
soup, including past and present labels, advertisements and slogans like “You only have to call them once when there’s Chicken Noodle
soup for lunch” and “32 feet of noodles in every can” and “When the mouth slurps, the belly smiles,” visit
. To learn more about Campbell’s condensed soup products, visit
Join the celebration and help wish Chicken Noodle
soup a happy 80
About Campbell Soup Company
- Click to Tweet: 80 years of @CampbellSoupCo Chicken Noodle soup calls for three cheers and lunch featuring that iconic red and white can. #HBDchickennoodle
- Click to Tweet: It’s got 32’ of noodles per can, and that’s not all – celebrate 80 years of @CampbellSoupCo Chicken Noodle soup. #HBDchickennoodle
- Click here to view the Chicken Noodle Soup 80 th Birthday video
Campbell Soup Company is a manufacturer and marketer of high-quality foods and simple meals, including soup and sauces, snacks and healthy beverages. Founded in 1869, the company has a portfolio of market-leading brands, including “Campbell’s,” “Pepperidge Farm,” “Arnott’s,” “V8,” “Bolthouse Farms,” “Plum Organics” and “Kjeldsens.” Through its corporate social responsibility program, the company strives to make a positive impact in the workplace, in the marketplace and in the communities in which it operates. Campbell is a member of the Standard & Poor's 500 and the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes. For more information, visit
or follow company news on Twitter via