, Jan. 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
(NASDAQ: CTSH) today announced that it will award 33 grants in 2014 to child-serving non-profit organizations as part of its 'Making the Future' initiative to fund afterschool, in-school, and summer programs aimed at sparking interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. The grants will enable children across 22 states to receive over 300,000 hours of high-quality STEM education across a diverse range of STEM topics, including electronics, robotics, computer programming, digital fabrication, 3D printing, and wearable technology.
"As a leading global provider of information technology, consulting, and business process services, we are acutely aware of the need for STEM talent to drive America's innovation economy," said
, President of Cognizant. "It is imperative to address America's talent gap in STEM fields and prepare the country's youth for an increasing number of STEM job opportunities in the future. We hope to inspire the next generation of America's technology leaders and entrepreneurs by supporting STEM education programs across the country. Increasing their STEM exposure through interactive learning opportunities is crucial to kindling their interest in STEM-oriented activities and unleashing in them a passion to discover and create."
In its fourth year now, Cognizant's 'Making the Future' education initiative, focused on inspiring in children—particularly girls and underrepresented minorities—a passion for STEM, has awarded over
to inspire children through fun and hands-on STEM learning opportunities. 'Making the Future' includes financial, in-kind, and volunteer support to education-oriented non-profits. In addition to supporting STEM-oriented afterschool and summer programs across the nation, Cognizant awards U.S. college scholarships, sponsors a Maker Space at the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI), and inspires countless students to pursue their interest in STEM disciplines.
"EdVenture Children's Museum is committed to maker education, as well as outreach efforts through which we serve over 400 children in extended learning opportunities," said
, Vice President of Education for EdVenture Children's Museum in
, SC. "Combining maker programming with afterschool and camp aligns perfectly with our mission to inspire a lifelong joy of learning. Through generous support from Cognizant, we are excited to continue facilitating student engagement in maker activities that empowers learners to become the next generation of global citizens and makers."
The recipients of the 2014 'Making the Future'
- Piscataway Public Library, Piscataway, NJ
- Newark Museum, Newark, NJ
- LA Makerspace, Los Angeles, CA
- Lighthouse Community Charter School, Oakland, CA
- Washington Maker Workshop, San Jose, CA
- Exploratorium, San Francisco, CA
- Girlstart, Bryan and Mansfield, TX & Elgin, IL
- Prairie View A&M University Cooperative Extension Program, 4-H & Youth Development, Houston, TX
- SASTEMIC, San Antonio, TX
- The Thinkery (Austin Children's Museum), Austin, TX
- CPEP (Connecticut Pre-Engineering Program), Hartford, CT
- Evanston Public Library, Evanston, IL
- McClintock Partners In Education (McPIE), Charlotte, NC
- University City Science Center, Philadelphia, PA
- Children's Museum of Pittsburgh & Assemble, Pittsburgh, PA
- South End Technology Center @ Tent City, Boston, MA
- Parma City Schools, Cleveland, OH
- Leonardo's Basement , Minneapolis, MN
- Community Guilds, Atlanta, GA
- Inspiration Labs, Inc. / Tampa Hackerspace, Tampa, FL
- Virginia Cooperative Extension, Hanover County, Mechanicsville, VA
- Science Museum of Virginia, Petersburg, VA
- Benton County 4-H Club Foundation, Inc., Bentonville, AR
- Friess Lake School District, Hubertus, WI
- HYPOTHEkids, Inc., New York, NY
- Brooklyn College Community Partnership/RF CUNY, Brooklyn, NY
- Jewels Academy, Des Moines, IA
- Michigan State University Extension 4-H, Detroit, MI
- Girls Inc. of NW Oregon, Portland, OR
- EdVenture, Inc., Columbia, SC
- Children's Museum of the Upstate, Inc., Greenville, SC
- Utah State University Extension 4-H, Logan, UT
- CMF Inc., Shelburne, VT
Cognizant (NASDAQ: CTSH) is a leading provider of information technology, consulting, and business process outsourcing services, dedicated to helping the world's leading companies build stronger businesses. Headquartered in
Teaneck, New Jersey
(U.S.), Cognizant combines a passion for client satisfaction, technology innovation, deep industry and business process expertise, and a global, collaborative workforce that embodies the future of work. With over 50 delivery centers worldwide and approximately 166,400 employees as of
September 30, 2013
, Cognizant is a member of the NASDAQ-100, the S&P 500, the Forbes Global 2000, and the Fortune 500 and is ranked among the top performing and fastest growing companies in the world. Visit us online at
or follow us on Twitter: Cognizant.
This press release includes statements which may constitute forward-looking statements made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, the accuracy of which are necessarily subject to risks, uncertainties, and assumptions as to future events that may not prove to be accurate. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied include general economic conditions and the factors discussed in our most recent Form 10-K and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Cognizant undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.