NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- CSX Corp (CSX) is shedding share value in extended trading on Wednesday after missing fourth-quarter and full-year earnings estimates. Shares tumbled 3.4% to $28.25 after the bell after posting a 1.2% gain through the regular trading session.
For the fourth quarter ended December, the ground freighter posted net income of 42 cents a share, 4.5% lower than the year-ago quarter and missing Wall Street consensus by a penny, according to analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters. Revenue, however, saw a 5% year-on-year increase to $3 billion, broadly in line with analyst expectations.
Over fiscal 2013, the company reported net income of $1.83 a share, 2.2% higher than the year-ago period but one cent lower than anticipated. Revenue increased 2% to a record $12 billion, just $10 million shy of analyst consensus.
TheStreet Ratings team rates CSX CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. The team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate CSX CORP (CSX) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, attractive valuation levels, growth in earnings per share and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CSX Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV