Updated to reflect comments made from the company in the third paragraph.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Twitter's (TWTR) Web site went down for the first time since it became a public company in November. It's stock price, however, continues to trend higher.
As of 1:45 p.m. EST, Twitter.com was giving an error message to its users. "Something is technically wrong," the Web site read. "Thanks for noticing -- we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon."
Twitter issued a status update on its blog, noting that the problem was now fixed. "Between 10:39AM and 10:48AM PST today, some users may have experienced issues viewing and sending Tweets on twitter.com and Twitter's mobile apps. This issue has been addressed and we apologize for the inconvenience."
Shares of the micro-blogging social network were higher in mid-Wednesday trading, gaining 3% to $59.96, despite the outage.
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York
>Contact by Email.Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV