#DigitalSkeptic: Ad Agencies Are Being Moved Off Madison Ave. to Digital Slum
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Pete Hayes may be a chief marketing officer's chief marketing officer. But that doesn't mean he has any use for an ad agency.
"When I was at Advanced Micro Devices, I spent most of my time taking apart our big agency relationships," said the principal and chief marketing officer for Chief Outsiders, the Houston, Texas, marketing executive placement firm. Hayes specializes in providing top-level marketing professionals to small- to midsized firms on a part-time basis.
As he sees it, the entire Madison Avenue, Mad Men approach of a big, centralized Omnicom Group, Havas or the Interpublic Group handling all a firm's end-to-end marketing and media buying needs is simply not how the vast majority of businesses should handle their marketing in the Digital Age."Now it's about finding relationships with specific hitters that specialize in getting certain things done," he explained to me in one of several fascinating calls we've had over the past several months. "Sometimes you do it yourself. And sometimes you go outside. But it's a much more integrated and leaner process." Here we go again, investors: The same race-to-the-bottom Information Age economics that has gutted entertainment, music, publishing and legal services is now loose on Madison Avenue. And keep in mind, Hayes is not merely speaking of his own multi-decade track record of managing $50 billion-plus marketing spends for firms such as Young & Rubicam and IBM. His "Less Madison Avenue Is More" approach is a core company principal, one that he and his staff of several dozen chief marketing officers bet on day in and day out to drive business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV