And although the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, which Cramer co-manages, is long JPMorgan and Bank of America, Cramer prefers Bank of America.
He explained that Bank of America's net-interest margins (NIM) are on the rise, along with noninterest income (fees).Furthermore, the banking giant is offering its five-year CD at 0.8%. Subsequently, it can invest those funds at a much higher rate, Cramer said. He suggested the unusual spike in litigation "will go down" and found nothing in the earnings report that "perturbed" him.
For all of these reasons, Cramer made Bank of America his top in the sector. He concluded that investors should not expect a big dividend increase, however, because he said that is up to the Federal Reserve, not management. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich.
At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, was long JPMorgan Chase and Bank of America.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV