The PC Industry
Even though we're well into the post-PC era, there are strong and complex forces of the PC era that linger. A whole industry was built up to support the complexity of Windows-based PCs. There are small PC repair shops that can eradicate viruses -- for a fee. There are Microsoft
(MSFT) Certified Professional classes.
Most important, there are intelligent people who have the time and patience to master the complexities of the PC and can make a decent living writing helpful articles in major PC publications.
The cult of the nerd arose, and there has been honor, prestige and profit when it comes to revealing the mystery of PCs.
When the Mac Arrived
The story of the Macintosh has been told many times. The legendary "1984" TV commercial says everything about Apple's attempt to tear down the walls of complexity. In the 1990s, Apple had to fight an uphill battle against the business community. When all the money and energy was on the business side, IT managers made themselves important by selecting complex PCs, and Microsoft shrewdly catered to their empire. Both prospered.PC sales are tanking and Apple's iPad sales are surging. Hundreds of millions of people with personal purchase authority have opted for simplicity, and their numbers are far greater than the business users. Plus, BYOD (bring your own device) has changed the game. The Industry Reaction Apple's customers are, of course, delighted with the simplicity introduced into their lives. They no longer have to worry about the Windows Registry, print drivers, Internet malware and incomprehensible and costly Windows upgrade procedures. Accordingly, this takes a lot of the wind out of the sails of those who make a living being computer gurus.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV