But Glynn on Jan. 2 downgraded GE to a "perform" rating from "outperform," because "2014-15 represents a transitional period" that projects a compound annual growth rate for earnings-per-share in the mid single digits over the next two years. Glynn estimates GE's operating earnings will grow from $1.64 a share in 2013 to $1.70 in 2014 and $1.80 in 2015.
Despite the neutral rating, Glynn in his report on Jan. 2 called GE "solid store of value."
GE had $130.4 billion in cash and marketable securities as of Sept. 30. That cash hoard fed a $13.9 billion deployment of capital through dividends and share buybacks during the first three quarters of 2013. The company in December raised its quarterly dividend to 22 cents a share from 19 cents. The shares have a dividend yield of 3.26%, based on Tuesday's closing price of $26.97. The company's average diluted shares count declined by 3% year-over-year through Sept. 30.
"Our Buy thesis [is] straightforward -- a huge cash position, improving cost structure and focus on dividends and share repurchase should drive [GE's] earnings recovery," wrote Brian K. Langenberg of Langenberg and Co. in a note to clients on Dec 23. He estimates GE's fourth-quarter earnings will come in at 54 cents a share. His EPS estimate for GE in 2014 is $1.70, rising to $1.85 for 2015. Langenberg's 12-month price target for General Electric's stock is $30, while his three-year fair value estimate is $40 a share.
The following chart shows the performance of GE's stock against the Dow Jones Industrial Average
data by YCharts
Interested in more on General Electric? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV