LOUISVILLE, Colo., Jan. 15, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Real Goods Solar, Inc. (Nasdaq:RSOL), a nationwide leader of turnkey solar energy solutions for residential, commercial, and utility customers, has acquired Mercury Energy in a merger transaction.
Mercury Energy, more widely known as Mercury Solar Systems, has been recognized as one of the top solar integrators on the East Coast, completing well over 2,000 solar systems or 60 megawatts in total installations for commercial, residential and utility customers since the company was founded in 2006.
"The addition of Mercury significantly increases the overall depth and breadth of our capabilities," said Kam Mofid, CEO of Real Goods Solar. "In August of last year, we acquired Syndicated Solar to strengthen our residential business and it produced a significant increase in our homeowner engagements. Following Mercury's integration over the next few weeks, we expect to likewise accelerate our growth in the commercial sector.""Our increased size and scale strengthens our commercial and residential sales capabilities in key solar markets, and reinforces our ability to bring to our customers more comprehensive end-to-end solutions, including attractive project finance options," continued Mofid. "As an added benefit, Mercury bolsters our balance sheet with an additional $12 million of net working capital, including more than $10 million of cash, and without adding debt. We plan to use these funds to further accelerate growth in key markets across the country." Jared Haines, president of Mercury, commented: "The entire Mercury team is very excited to be joining Real Goods Solar, a recognized pioneer and leader in solar energy. Our combined resources and capabilities make us a very strong national player and a more significant force in the industry." Real Goods Solar acquired Mercury in an all-stock transaction totaling approximately 8.3 million shares of Class A common stock, which recently received shareholder approval. In addition to valuable physical assets, operational systems and customer base, Mercury brings to Real Goods Solar more than 50 employees, including three seasoned executives who have been appointed to key positions:
- Jared Haines was appointed vice president of sales at RGS Energy, the commercial and utility division of Real Goods Solar. Haines, a cofounder of Mercury, previously served as Mercury's president. He has had a successful career in sales of commercial solar systems and was instrumental in building the Mercury business and brand.
- Anthony Coschigano was appointed vice president of RGS Energy's northeast operations. He will be responsible for integrating and improving all facets of systems deployment and increasing productivity of the combined organization. He co-founded Mercury and has years of solar project management and construction experience.
- Andrew Zaref was appointed vice president of project finance at Real Goods Solar. He will be responsible for implementing the company's residential and commercial financing and asset management strategies. Zaref previously served as Mercury's CFO and COO, and has more than 20 years of financial management and capital markets experience. He has served as CFO of a number of fast-growing public and private companies, and was also a partner at KPMG LLP.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV