Revenue increased 7 percent from the year-ago quarter to $4.5 billion, driven by higher noninterest income related to long-term AUM flows and higher market levels.
The provision for credit losses decreased $86 million from the year-ago quarter to $26 million due to improvement in the home loans portfolio. Noninterest expense of $3.3 billion increased 2 percent, driven by higher volume-related expenses, partially offset by lower support and other personnel costs.
Client balances rose 10 percent from a year ago to $2.37 trillion, driven largely by higher market levels, long-term AUM flows of $47.8 billion and period-end client loan growth of $9.5 billion. Assets under management rose $123.4 billion, or 18 percent, from the fourth quarter of 2012 to $821.4 billion, driven by market appreciation and long-term AUM flows. Average deposit balances declined $9.3 billion from the fourth quarter of 2012 to $240.4 billion as the impact of transfers to CBB was partially offset by organic growth.
|Three Months Ended||Year Ended|
|(Dollars in millions)||December 31 2013||December 312012||December 31 2013||December 312012|
|Total revenue, net of interest expense, FTE basis||$||4,305||$||3,951||$||16,481||$||15,674|
|Provision for credit losses||441||62||1,075||(342||)|
|Return on average allocated capital 1, 2||21.86||%||—||%||21.64||%||—||%|
|Return on average economic capital 1, 2||—||28.97||—||27.69|
|Average loans and leases||$||268,849||$||232,396||$||257,245||$||224,336|
- Global Banking achieved record revenues and firmwide Investment Banking fees.
- Firmwide investment banking fees of $1.7 billion, excluding self-led deals, increased $441 million, or 34 percent, from the prior quarter and $138 million, or 9 percent, from the year-ago quarter.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BAML) maintained its No. 2 ranking in global net investment banking fees in the fourth quarter of 2013, with an increase in market share to 8.0 percent from 7.3 percent in the third quarter of 2013, and was No. 1 in investment banking fees in the Americas with 10.7 percent market share in the fourth quarter of 2013 C. BAML was also ranked among the top three global financial institutions in announced mergers and acquisitions, leveraged loans, investment-grade corporate debt, mortgage-backed securities, asset-backed securities and syndicated loans during the fourth quarter of 2013 C.
- Average loan and lease balances increased $36.5 billion, or 16 percent, from the year-ago quarter, to $268.8 billion with growth primarily in the commercial and industrial loan portfolio and the commercial real estate portfolio.
- Average deposits rose $16.9 billion, or 7 percent, from the year-ago quarter to $259.8 billion due to client liquidity and international growth.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts