WEST PALM BEACH, Fla., Jan. 14, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Forward Industries, Inc. (Nasdaq:FORD), a designer and distributor of custom carry and protective solutions, today announced financial results for its third fiscal year ended September 30, 2013.
- Net sales increased $1.5 million, or 5%, to $30.9 million in fiscal 2013 due primarily to higher sales of diabetic products, which increased $2.6 million. Sales of Other Products decreased $1.0 million to $6.7 million in fiscal 2013.
- Gross profit increased $2.5 million to $6.4 million, or 21% of net sales, in fiscal 2013 due primarily to the higher sales level achieved and cost savings realized from the restructuring of our Asia-based sourcing and quality assurance operations and improvements to our quality control systems.
- Sales and marketing expenses increased $0.6 million, or 37%, to $2.2 million in fiscal 2013 due primarily to higher personnel costs resulting from the restructuring and expansion of our sales and sales support teams.
- General and administrative expenses decreased $2.1 million, or 37%, to $3.5 million in fiscal 2013 due primarily to lower personnel costs and professional fees resulting from the restructuring of our executive, finance, and IT teams.
- Other expense, net, increased to $0.7 million of expense in fiscal 2013 from $34 thousand of expense in fiscal 2012, due primarily to net realized and unrealized losses on investments in marketable securities.
- Net income (loss) from continuing operations was $5 thousand of income, or ($0.07) per basic and diluted share, in fiscal 2013 compared to ($3.3) million, or $(0.41) per basic and diluted share, in fiscal 2012.
- Net loss from discontinued operations was ($0.2) million, or $(0.02) per basic and diluted share, fiscal 2013, compared to ($6.3) million, or $(0.78) per basic and diluted share, in fiscal 2012.