Updated to reflect share price change after stock resumed trading.
The 3d printing company warned full-year 2013 revenue would be between $40 million and $42 million, below previous guidance of $48 million. Based on the year's results, fourth-quarter revenue would fall in the range of $11.2 million to $13.2 million.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated fourth-quarter revenue of $19.63 million and full-year sales of $48.32 million.The shortfall is related to machine sales yet to be completed for customers in Russia, India, Mexico and France. Those sales still needing approval processing will be deferred into 2014. "While naturally we are disappointed with this shift in timing for these machines, we remain enthusiastic with the growing interest in the ExOne binder jetting technology from our global customers for all industrial material applications. We believe that these machine sale delays are only due to timing and no other factor. We also expect to quadruple production and triple sales of the M-Flex in 2014," said CEO S. Kent Rockwell in a statement. The Pennsylvania-based business is due to report fourth-quarter and full-year results on March 19. Over Tuesday's session, the small-cap saw losses after larger rival Statasys (SSYS) provided mixed 2014 revenue guidance. Israel-based Stratasys announced net income over the fiscal year ending December would be between $2.15 and $2.25 a share, compared to consensus of $2.31 a share. The company said profitability would likely take a hit over the year as operating expenses expand significantly. By market close, Stratasys shares tumbled 8.2% and took off an additional 3.2% to $115.50 in after-hours trading. Competitor 3D Systems (DDD) has lost 5% to $86.61 and Voxeljet (VJET) plunged 7.4% to $39.30 in extended trading. TheStreet Ratings team rates STRATASYS LTD as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate STRATASYS LTD (SSYS) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- SSYS's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 2.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 152.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- SSYS has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 5.94, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for STRATASYS LTD is rather high; currently it is at 63.63%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -5.27% is in-line with the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Computers & Peripherals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 227.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.18 million to -$6.63 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Computers & Peripherals industry and the overall market, STRATASYS LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SSYS Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.