Aluminum is in. Alcoa (AA) on Monday said aluminum use in cars will nearly double by 2025 and also said it has completed a $300 million expansion at its Davenport, Iowa, facility in order to supply more aluminum sheet products to the automotive industry. It is also adding automotive capacity in Alcoa, Tenn. And you thought company towns were dead.
Ford said high-strength aluminum alloys will be used throughout the F-150 body for the first time, improving dent and ding resistance and also saving up to 700 pounds of weight. An F-150 typically weight 5,000 pounds to 6,000 pounds.
Caldwell said she initially had concerns about whether the very traditional truck market would accept such a vast transformation, but after seeing the new truck she believes "it looks very obviously like a truck. From the looks, I don't think there will be a problem with the reception."Ford was very careful how they positioned the use of aluminum, making sure to preserve the Ford tough image." Caldwell said. Ford's news release said the F-150 uses "high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloys, already used in aerospace, commercial transportation, energy and many other rugged industries." Ibara said, "I applaud Ford for taking some bold steps with the styling and with the technology." But he noted, "We haven't driven it yet. "We are really anxious to get behind the wheel," he said. "We're not sure how it's going to feel. Any time you come out with new technology, you can anticipate what's going to happen, but you never really know. We need to get some feedback from some truck drivers."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV