Top 5 Mistakes Millennials Make in Their Job Search
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Whether you"re right out of college or nearing retirement, the current job market is a tough one. To succeed, you need equal parts technical skills and experience. Unfortunately, more than 45% of millennials looking for work last year didn"t land a single job interview, according to online career network Beyond.com. Thankfully, experts say millennials are just as hirable as anyone else -- they simply make more interview and resume mistakes than their competition. Check out the top five mistakes millennials make and how to avoid them.
1. Not dressing your best -- really. Sometimes the ordinary just isn"t going to cut it, says Jill Swanson, image coach and author of Out the Door in 15 Minutes.
"First impressions are watermarked on your resume page," Swanson says. "You are there to impress the person you are interviewing with -- verbally, intellectually and visually."
If you dress like the interview was "just another stop on your daily to-do list," the interviewer will assume the job simply isn"t very high on your priority list, Swanson explains."Those hiring look at interviewees" appearance and know that this is as good as it will get," she says. "Dress for the position you want -- look like a team member who already has it all together." 2. Not proofreading and perfecting your resume. "Unfortunately, as a recruiter, I often see resumes from millennials that are littered with mistakes or look like they were thrown together quickly," says Lauren MacArthur, partner of information design and delivery at recruitment firm WinterWyman.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV