During Tuesday's session, the stock gained 2.3% to $4.22, and volume of 22.7 million exceeded its three-month average daily volume of 18.8 million. A high-momentum mover, shares have climbed 9.6% since the beginning of the year.
AMD data by
The team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES (AMD) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity and generally high debt management risk."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 4.72 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, AMD's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.10, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES swung to a loss, reporting -$1.59 versus $0.65 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.12 versus -$1.59).
- 39.22% is the gross profit margin for ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, AMD's net profit margin of 3.28% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 108.75% to $21.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -11.34%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AMD Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV