BioRestorative Therapies’ Brown Fat Stem Cells Research Published In February Issue Of Stem Cells Journal
BioRestorative Therapies, Inc. ("BRT" or the "Company") (OTCBB: BRTX), a life sciences company focused on adult stem cell-based therapies for various personal medical applications, today announced that a preclinical study that is part of its ThermoStem® program has been published in the February issue of the peer-reviewed journal, Stem Cells. A photograph of the Company’s brown fat stem cell scaffold appears prominently on the cover. As previously announced, the newly identified human adult brown fat stem cells discussed in the study have the potential to lead to the development of a cell-based method for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and obesity.
Mark Weinreb, Chief Executive Officer of BRT, said, “We are very excited to have our research published in such a prestigious journal, and are thrilled to be the featured on the cover. We view the publication of research to be potential validation of our approach toward solving the growing problem of obesity and metabolic disease and we are very pleased with the prominent placement of our research.”
As previously announced, the Company’s research demonstrated that functional brown adipose derived stem cells (BADSCs) produced improvements in mice with diet-induced metabolic disorder. The results of the study showed for the first time that a multipotent stem cell population exists in human adult adipose deposits and that this population can be differentiated into metabolically functional brown adipocytes. Brown adipocytes are key cells that are involved in energy homeostasis and metabolism. In humans, loss of brown adipose (fat) activity may account for the lower metabolism often associated with diabetes and obesity. A link to the online publication is http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/stem.1595/abstract.
This study was conducted in collaboration with a team of researchers at the University of Utah School of Medicine.About BioRestorative Therapies, Inc. BioRestorative Therapies, Inc. ( www.biorestorative.com) develops products and medical procedures using cell and tissue protocols, primarily involving adult stem cells, including:
- brtxDISC™ ( Disc Implanted Stem Cells) is an investigational non-surgical treatment for bulging and herniated lumbar discs that is intended for patients who have failed non-invasive procedures and face the prospect of surgery. The treatment involves culturing a patient’s own stem cells and then delivering them via a proprietary medical device to the damaged region of the disc in an outpatient procedure.
- ThermoStem® is a treatment using brown fat stem cells that is under development for metabolic disorders including diabetes and obesity. Initial preclinical research indicates that increased amounts of brown fat in the body may be responsible for additional caloric burning as well as reduced glucose and lipid levels.
- brtx-C Cosmetic is based on the development of a human cellular extract that has been demonstrated in in vitro skin studies to increase the production of collagen and fibronectin, which are proteins that are essential to combating the aging of skin. Potential cosmetic uses are being explored with third parties.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV