NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After a harsh selloff Monday, U.S. equities are rebounding Tuesday with the S&P 500, Dow Jones Industrial Average and Nasdaq all moving higher. TheStreet's Jonathan Marino details Tuesday's top headlines.
JPMorgan (JPM) kicked off an important week of earnings reports for the financial sector. Amid circling legal issues and hefty fines, the institution was able to beat analysts expectations' on both the top and bottom lines.
Wells Fargo (WFC) also reported earnings this morning. It too beat on the top and bottom lines, which is a good start for the sector. Bank of America (BAC) reports tomorrow morning, while Citigroup (C) and Goldman Sachs (GS) both report on Thursday morning.
There was also some heavy M&A activity announcements on Monday, Marino said.Google (GOOG) announced the purchase of Nest Labs for $3.2 billion, while Time Warner Cable (TWC) rejected a $61 billion bid from Charter Communications (CHTR), he reported. Time Warner Cable has confirmed it would accept a $160 per share offer, in a combination of stock and cash. Finally, Marino had the Action Alerts PLUS co-portfolio manager Jim Cramer's top pick: Yum Brands (YUM). Yum reported a 2% increase in Chinese comp sales. Cramer said it's a sign of a rebound for the company in the region and he is a buyer of the stock on weakness. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV