Update (4:33 p.m. EST): Updated with closing price, day high and low prices, price change and volume information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Groupon Inc. (GRPN) rose 3.92% to $11.41, up 43 cents from its previous close of $10.98, at the close of the trading day on Tuesday after the company purchased fashion sale site Ideeli for $43 million in cash.
The stock had a volume of 12,349,752, well below its average of 19,659,800. It hit a high of $11.49 and a low of $11.03 for the day.
The purchase was a loss for Ideeli shareholders, as the company had received $107 million in venture capital from 2007 through 2013. Groupon announced that it plans to keep Ideeli running as a separate website but noted opportunities for synergy with the new acquisition.
Ideeli uses timed sales, similar to Groupon, to sell designer products at up to 90% off and features different brands each day. But this method had not yielded positive results for the company, which most recently operated at a $30 million loss.
Groupon's stock recovered somewhat on Tuesday morning after the company had trended downward for the better part of 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV