BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Your favorite tech stocks are waving the yellow caution flag right now. As we dig deeper into the inaugural earnings season for 2014, it makes a whole lot of sense to heed those warnings.
I've said before that I think we're in store for a correction in stocks. And after out-earning the rest of the S&P 500 over the last six months, the technology sector is starting to show some of the first cracks.
If tech rolls over first, then everyone's favorite names are suddenly going to get pretty toxic for investors' returns this year.To be clear, these five names aren't exactly next up in line at bankruptcy court. But that's irrelevant; from a technical analysis standpoint, they're some of the worst positioned names out there right now. For that reason, fundamental investors who already own shares need to decide how long they're willing to take the pain if they want to hold on. And for investors looking to buy one of these positions, it makes sense to wait for more favorable technical conditions (and a lower share price) before piling in. >>5 Rocket Stocks to Stomp the S&P in 2014 For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. So, without further ado, let's take a look at five "toxic" stocks you should be unloading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV