TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
These are all valuable in different ways, but not necessarily in the predictive roles into which they get shoehorned in broad market commentary:
- CBOE Volatility Index (VIX): At 13, it isn't "too low" or "a sign of complacency." With SPX one month realized volatility at 9.4%, a 13% VIX is actually kind of high. If you were buying a house with a 9% chance of flooding, would you consider flood insurance priced at an implied rate of 13% a screaming buy?
- VIX put/call ratio: This ratio came up in the media this week, but as I showed in an article last year, the volume of VIX put and call trading has not been a meaningful predictor of subsequent S&P 500 returns.
- SKEW: We looked a few weeks ago at the high levels of S&P 500 implied volatility skew. Bearish Zero Hedge types were hyping those levels for weeks as a portent of a big correction. But as we saw, even limited to high readings, SKEW wasn't predictive of next-month market returns.
I'd rather believe too few truths than believe many falsehoods, at least where markets are concerned, since the history of truth-telling market factors is also the history of their weakening predictive power. Or in more practical terms, since our attention and other resources are finite, it's better to focus those limited resources monitoring the market signals that really matter, instead of flitting back and forth among unproven indicators.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Jared can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/CondorOptions
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV