Not only can the holiday results help propel Apple forward, there's the little matter of the deal with China Mobile (CHL). The Wall Street Journal reports that Foxconn, Apple's Chinese supplier, has shipped over 1 million iPhones (1.4 million) to China Mobile ahead of the official launch of the iPhone on China Mobile's network, the world's largest.
Apple and China Mobile announced the deal to bring the iPhone to China Mobile's 760 million users in December, following months and months of negotiations.
An order of 1 million+ iPhones for the initial shipment to China Mobile is a massive number, considering that Apple only ships about 2 million iPhones to China per month. Walkley believes that this deal could "offset some of the anticipated sharp decline in Western carrier iPhone sales post the holiday selling season."
Not only did the survey indicate strong sales for the iPhone, but it also did so for the iPad Air, which Apple launched in Oct. 2013. The iPad Air is considered an engineering marvel, no thicker than standard no. 2 pencil, and having the computing power and benefit of a 64-bit A7 chip.
Perhaps Cook will get the "iPad Christmas" he's expecting, after all. However, the iPhone won't go down without a fight.
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York
>Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV