I don't know what the future is for SodaStream, but the company previously stated expectations of hitting the $ 1 billion mark in revenue by 2016. I'm not sure that's possible. Admittedly, I'm surprised they reached the $500 million sales mark.
I've tasted the product, and it's very good. I also like the fact that the company sells syrups that are sweetened with cane sugar, which is making a comeback because it tastes better than corn syrup-sweetened drinks, and also because some consider sugar the healthier of the two sweeteners. But I can pick up a case of sugar-sweetened Mexican Coca-Cola (KO), in glass bottles, no less, or a 12 pack of Pepsi (PEP) Throwback, also made with sugar, at the grocery store. I just don't see the benefit of making it at home. Perhaps I'm just lazy. But I'm not alone.
It will still be interesting to see where the stock heads from here. Now trading at about 15 times earnings, it's gotten a lot cheaper. I've sometimes taken positions in former growth darlings which were punished beyond what seemed reasonable (eBay
(EBAY) for example), but I am not interested here.
I can't help but think that the problems during the fourth quarter may be at least partially due to waning consumer excitement about the product.
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV