NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Yesterday we looked at the first of what will likely be several partnerships between investment companies to bring new and what they hope will be innovative ETFs to the market.
ETF giant, SPDR has paired with traditional mutual fund giant MFS to launch three new systematic equity ETFs.
- SPDR MFS Systematic Core Equity (SYE)
- SPDR MFS Systematic Growth Equity (SYG)
- SPDR MFS Systematic Value Equity SYV
They are SPDR funds that are actively managed by MFS. The systematic approach means combining fundamental and quantitative analysis to build and then maintain the portfolios. The process starts with screening the relevant universe for the specific fund for stocks rated buy or hold rated by MFS and then those stocks are quantitatively scored on a proprietary multifactor model for inclusion in the fund.
SPDR and MFS believe that current conditions make for a favorable time for the sort of stock picking that these funds will employ because of expectations for improved economic growth which they believe will lead to improved earnings growth. They also note decreased correlations as being conducive for a stock picker's market. While you would expect a fund provider to make a favorable case for its funds, this week's Barron's made a similar argument for active management.All three funds benchmark to domestic, large cap indexes but the funds will have more concentrated portfolios with 40 to 55 holdings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV