How Cuomo's Pot Law Peer Pressures Corporate America Into the Weed Business
TheStreet reached out to the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of New York and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York to ask if the Cuomo administration had preemptively discussed the prospects of an executive action that would permit hospitals in the state to distribute medical marijuana for strict cases. Both offices declined to comment for this story.
TheStreet contacted Gov. Cuomo's office, which did not respond to repeated requests for comment as to whether the governor or members of his administration approached the U.S. Attorney's offices throughout New York about the executive action.
But the U.S. Attorney's office may have no incentive to weigh in publicly on this issue.
"If the office says that they wont pursue prosecutions, then they look soft on crime. If they say they will pursue prosecutions, then they're starting a fight with the governor," Greg Magarian, a Constitutional law professor at Washington University in St. Louis, wrote in an email. "Either way, what they end up doing will probably depend on policy determinations higher up in the Justice Department."This could dissuade the government from intervening with hospitals that act as dispensaries. But heavily regulated hospitals could be the most trustworthy medical marijuana dispensaries. Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV