#DigitalSkeptic: CES Crowd-Designed Sound Sends Private Equity to a Dirt Nap
LAS VEGAS (TheStreet) -- Gavin Fish figures he's landed The Big Consumer Tech Lebowski when it comes to raising money.
"Our customers are smarter than we are," yelled the vice president of sales and marketing for LH Labs over cerveza, chips and blaring Jimmy Buffett music at this Mexican joint on the Vegas Strip. "And we figured out a way for them to tell us what products to design."
Fish was in town with about a half-dozen of his Sacramento, Calif.-based staff, celebrating one of the most fascinating and unlikely success stories from the just-wrapped 2014 International Consumer Electronics Show.See, LH Labs is the fast-growing, hip new unit of established high-end audio component maker Light Harmonic. If you're a hopeless audio snob (as I am), life is simply not worth living unless one's headphones are pure awesomeness. That level of audio love often requires something called a digital audio converter -- or "DAC," rhymes with Jack. DACs turn gritty digital output from PCs and lux audio equipment into a luscious signal that better headphones (say, a Sennheiser Hd 850 or a Grado HP-2, can replicate perfectly. Light Harmonic DACs are as good as any model there is. And if you have to ask what it costs, well, you know ... "Our top-end model runs $32,000," Fish said. "If I can figure out how to sell even 10 of those a year, that's huge. We work in a limited market." Until now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV