I received an email from Howard Reifs, Sears' Director of Corporate Communications, Tuesday afternoon.
In it, he wrote:
FYI - The windows you reference have to be specially fabricated and have been ordered. We are awaiting their arrival.
I replied with the following:
When did you order them? When will they arrive?
It has been about 7 months since the riots. Do you not see any problem with leaving boards and such up on the windows? Couldn't you have come up with a better or different solution in the meantime?
I intend to publish the contents of this email as Sears' response.
Though I have yet to hear back from Reifs with answers to these questions (after repeated attempts), the San Francisco Chronicle, who broke the original story in December, received confirmation from the Oakland Building Department that Sears has indeed ordered the windows and "expect(s) installation in about a month."
No mention of TheStreet's story in the Chronicle story or if my article from Tuesday is what prompted Sears to act, but the newspaper had no problem hijacking my application of the Broken Windows theory. It's all good, as long as Sears follows through. They'd better because it's been a bad week and really an awful start to the year for some physical retail players, as further evidenced by Best Buy's (BBY) bad holiday numbers Thursday morning.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV