Tough new laws for texters, teens, drunks
A persistent drunk driver continues to need to complete a level II alcohol and drug education and treatment program. But now once driving privileges are restored the driver must also hold a restricted license that mandates the use of an ignition interlock device.
The one-year waiting period has been reduced to one month, for drivers over the age of 21, to apply for early reinstatement of their driving privileges with an ignition interlock-restricted license for persistent drunk drivers. The waiting period is now only two months for those who refused tests.
Connecticut: Laws concerning vehicles with snow and ice on them and distracted drivers affect drivers:
Clean off vehicle - The day before the New Year, Connecticut enacted a law requiring commercial motor vehicle to remove snow from the roofs, trucks and hoods or the operator could be fined from $75 to $1,250. The stiffer penalties ($500 to $1,250) are reserved for when flying elements cause personal or property damage. Parked vehicles and vehicles already in motion when snow, sleet or freezing rain starts are exempt.Distracted driving - Fines have been increased for motorists that use a handheld cellphone or other electronic device while driving. A first offense will now be $150, a second $200 and subsequent convictions a fine of $400 to $500. The new law requires the DMV place the conviction violation on a driver's motor vehicle record and assess at least one point. Also, laws were updated to now prohibit drivers from using their cellphone when a vehicle is temporarily stopped due to traffic, road conditions or traffic signal devices or signs. Illinois: New laws allow drivers to go faster, but tell them to stay off their cellphones. The maximum speed limit on toll-roads and interstate highways was increased from 65 mph to 70 mph.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV