As I write today, the average age of a car on the road here in the U.S. is older than it's ever been before. That's providing some big opportunities at auto parts retailer AutoZone (AZO). As drivers seek to extend the lives of older vehicles, AZO's parts business should continue to enjoy big organic growth. AutoZone's network spans around 4,700 stores here in the U.S. and another 321 in Mexico, making it the largest aftermarket car part seller in North America.
AutoZone has size advantages over its peers. That means that it's able to negotiate better pricing deals with its suppliers, and it means that it's able to generate bigger margins on its private-label parts business such as Valucraft and Duralast. The firm's business isn't relegated to do-it-yourselfers either -- AutoZone also boasts more than 3,000 commercial locations within its retail stores, providing parts for repair shops and service stations. While margins on the commercial side of the business don't match the profitability that AZO enjoys on the retail side, volumes help make up for the shortfall.
Mexico is a big growth driver for AutoZone, particularly because the trends of lengthening cars' useful lives are magnified down there due to a much older national car fleet. Expansion into other Latin American countries could provide much higher growth rates than the firm's current earnings multiple implies.To see all of this weeks Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV