$18 billion asset management firm Blackstone Group (BX) is coming off the heels of a blockbuster year for shareholders. In the last 12 months, Blackstone has rallied 91%, besting the S&P's impressive returns last year by a factor of three.
That's not hugely surprising, though. As an investment advisory firm, Blackstone is basically a leveraged bet on the public and private equity market. That means that the firm is positioned to continue to outperform in 2014.Blackstone offers its clients exposure to a wide array of alternative investments, ranging from private equity funds to real estate and hedge funds. That non-traditional asset base is the reason why BX outperformed other investment firms by such a wide margin. As correlations across traditional investment options remain high, high-net-worth and institutional investors should remain willing to shell out more cash for the alternatives that Blackstone provides. Scale matters a lot for Blackstone. Because the firm is one of the largest private equity names in the world, with around $250 billion in assets under management, it's able to orchestrate big-ticket deals that smaller names can't. The firm's expertise in guiding privately held portfolio companies has also borne a lucrative advisory business, a high-moat business that newcomers can't simply hold out a shingle and expect to succeed in. With rising analyst sentiment in shares this week, we're betting on Blackstone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV