BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Yes, 2013 was a great year to be a stock investor. All told, the venerable S&P 500 Index gained 29.6% last year, in the best calendar year for the big index since all the way back in 1997.
But one small subset of stocks made the S&P's performance look anemic last year. I'm talking about the Rocket Stocks.
While the big index turned out impressive gain numbers for the year, our concentrated set of Rocket Stocks handily beat the S&P by 11.6 percentage points, gaining 41.2% for the year. That's material outperformance -- and they're set to drive bigger gains in 2014 as well.For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 231 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 84.81%. >>5 Big Trades to Take This Year Without further ado, heres a look at this weeks Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV