The video this transcript is based on appeared on January 13.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Japan's Suntory Holdings said it will buy liquor company Beam for $16 billion, including debt -- receiving iconic American brands like Jim Beam and Maker's Mark. The whiskey and beer maker will pay $83.50 per share, which is a 25% premium to Beam's closing price on Friday of $66.97.
Japan's Suntory Holdings said it will buy liquor company Beam (BEAM) for $16 billion, including debt -- receiving iconic American brands like Jim Beam and Maker's Mark.
Suntory already distributes Beam's products in Japan. Suntory, which makes whiskey and beer, will pay $83.50 per share, which is a 25% premium to Beam's closing price on Friday of $66.97. Suntory President and Chairman Nobutada Saji said in a statement that the acquisition will help the company further its growth around the world. The combined company is expected to generate annual sales of more than $4.3 billion, making it the world's third largest premium spirits entity, according to Beam President and CEO Matt Shattock.
The deal has already been approved by the boards of both companies, although it still needs approval from Beam stockholders. It's expected to close in the second quarter of 2014.
In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet.
Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV