Financial advisors see anxiety adversely impacting clients’ financial planning and investment decisions, according to survey results released today by
Hartford Funds. From missing investment opportunities to prioritizing low risk over the potential for higher returns, Americans’ uncertainty and anxiety are driving their financial decisions. Roughly 130 advisors were surveyed regarding client investment behaviors against the backdrop of today’s economic environment.
“While it’s no surprise that consumers are anxious about the economy, advisors are facing the challenge of not only managing clients’ investments, but also managing the emotions and fears that influence their decisions,” said John Diehl, Senior Vice President at Hartford Funds. “While there are a number of factors to consider, the survey findings underscore the need for both advisors and clients to recognize and evolve certain behaviors in order to effectively pursue their financial goals.”
Key findings from the survey include:
- Anxiety is adversely impacting client investment decisions:
Most advisors (57 percent) believe clients have allowed their anxiety to adversely impact their investment decisions. This behavior is one of the top two concerns shared by advisors today. Market volatility was the most-cited issue that is keeping advisors up at night, followed closely by client anxiety about saving and investing.
- Consumers place higher value on investment certainty than returns:
More than three-quarters (76 percent) of advisors noted that their clients are prioritizing investment certainty over the potential for higher returns. Despite this sentiment, 37 percent of advisors expect their clients’ risk tolerance to increase over the next 12 months, while only 17 percent expect clients to become more risk averse. Nearly half (46 percent) of advisors surveyed expect risk tolerance to remain the same.
Interestingly, this trend of shifting risk aversion follows advisors’ own patterns. Thirty-seven percent of advisors reported their personal investment profile has become less conservative over the past 12 months. Only ten percent have become more conservative, with the remaining 53 percent keeping a steadfast risk profile.
- Advisors are seeking alternatives to fixed income amid rising interest rates:
Two-thirds (66 percent) of advisors surveyed indicated that the potential of rising interest rates has led them away from recommending fixed-income vehicles to their clients. The remaining 34 percent of advisors, who indicated they were not moving their clients out of fixed income, saw various benefits to sticking with their fixed-income strategy. Forty-one percent of those respondents attribute their decision to still seeing opportunities in the bond market. Thirty-two percent believe that no other vehicles provide the same income and security; and 23 percent remain confident in the long-term performance potential of fixed-income products. Only four percent indicated a lack of client confidence in the equity market as their motivation for their commitment to fixed income.
- Equity Value Funds and corporate bond products provide greater clarity for clients:
When asked about client anxiety as it relates to various investment vehicles, advisors overwhelmingly cited emerging market funds as anxiety-inducers. Ninety percent of advisors polled indicated that these products caused the greatest anxiety among clients. Sixty-five percent of advisors said international bond funds are also a cause for client anxiety.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts