CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Jan. 13, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Merrimack Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq:MACK) today announced that preclinical data on an analysis of HER2, HER3 and heregulin levels in gastric and gastroesophageal junction (GEJ) tumors will be presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology 2014 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium (ASCO GI), January 16-18, 2014 at the Moscone West Building in San Francisco.
HER2 is a receptor that, when overexpressed in cancer cells, is linked to a poorer prognosis of disease due to its role in cellular growth and tumor survival. HER2 has the ability to dimerize with HER3, a receptor in the same family that has been implicated in the development of tumor resistance to selective cancer therapies. Levels of HER2, HER3 and heregulin (the ligand for the HER3 receptor) were analyzed to determine the prevalence of these potential mediators of resistance to cancer therapy in gastric and GEJ cancers.
Merrimack has initiated a Phase 2 trial of MM-111, a bispecific antibody designed to inhibit HER3 in HER2 expressing tumors, in HER2-expressing gastric and GEJ cancers.Poster Overview:
- Potential regulators of HER2 activity in HER2-overexpressing gastric and gastroesophageal tumors: Analysis of HER3 and heregulin expression (Abstract ID #48, Poster Board B22)
General Poster Session A: Cancers of the Esophagus and Stomach Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:00 – 2:00 p.m. PT, Level One, West HallAbout Merrimack Merrimack is a biopharmaceutical company discovering, developing and preparing to commercialize innovative medicines paired with companion diagnostics for the treatment of cancer. Merrimack applies its systems biology-based approach to biomedical research throughout the research and development process. Merrimack currently has six targeted therapeutic oncology therapeutics in clinical development. For more information, please visit Merrimack's website at www.merrimackpharma.com . Forward-Looking Statements Any statements in this press release about future expectations, plans and prospects for Merrimack constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements. Merrimack anticipates that subsequent events and developments will cause its views to change. However, while Merrimack may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, Merrimack specifically disclaims any obligation to do so.
CONTACT: Media Contacts: Debbie Tseng, Merrimack 617-441-7659 email@example.com Heather Gitlitz, Spectrum 202-955-6222 firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV