BBT data by YCharts
Shares of BB&T Corp. (BBT) of Winston-Salem, N.C., closed at $38.66 Friday. The shares trade for 2.5 times tangible book value, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight, and for 11.5 times the consensus 2015 earnings estimate of $3.35 a share. The consensus 2014 EPS estimate is $3.02. Based on a quarterly payout of 23 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 2.38%.
BB&T is scheduled to announce its four-quarter results on Thursday, with analysts on average estimating earnings of 71 cents a share, up a penny from 70 cents during the third quarter, but matching its EPS during the fourth quarter of 2012.
Citigroup analyst Keith Horowitz in his earnings preview on Jan. 3 wrote, "BBT remains our favorite way to play the regional space," while reiterating his "buy" rating and raising his price target for the shares to $44 from $40.00.
"We still see the most upside in BBT, as its above-average returns and solid management team should justify a premium multiple," Horowitzwrote. BB&Ts return on average tangible equity for the first three quarters of 2013 was a decent 12.21%,, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight, however, the third quarter results were lowered by a $235 million tax adjustments. The company's ROTCE has been in the high double digits for three of the past five quarters.
According to Horowitz, BB&T is "well-positioned for a tough environment given its diverse revenue mix and specialized lending business, and the valuation continues to be attractive."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV