This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
Stocks Under $10 with 50-100% upside potential - 14 days FREE!

Markets Will Tilt Downward in Early 2014

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- So far in 2014, the Dow Jones Industrial Average has dropped for five of the first seven trading days. Conversely, this index has risen for two of the first seven trading days, for a simple 28% probability of an up day. If markets are simply continuing last year's upward march, how do these patterns fit in so far? How do these early year-to-date market statistics match up versus prior years? And what do they imply about the Bayesian tilt with which 2014 has begun?

First we look at the theoretical distribution provided by a probability tree, in which each successive day has an equal 50% chance of either branching up or branching down. Then, for a specific tree path over the first seven days, a red value was given to indicate a down day, while a green value was given for an up day. For more on combinatorics, see this note


We see that the first trading day for 2014 was down. And this had a 50% theoretical chance of happening. Then the second trading day was up, and so we end that day with a score of one down day out of two days. This score too has a 50% chance as shown (e.g., there is another 25% chance we'd instead have two up days in a row, and a 25% chance to instead have two down days in a row). Through this morning, Jan. 13, we've collected five down days out of seven trading days. We see on the tree above, that this outcome had a 16% chance of occurring. We also see that the probability of having five or more down days, out of seven trading days, is slightly larger at 23% (or ~16%+5%+1%).

A different interpretation of this 23% chance is that over the 14 years prior to this one, three of them (23%*14) should have also had at least 5 down days out of the first 7 trading days. And empirically this is true: 2001, 2005, 2009. That's some company.

But these probabilities were again derived assuming a fair 50% chance for either an up day or a down day. That indicates a close to trendless market, which lacks general direction, even though we technically understand that, over the long run, markets offer a slight upward trend. What would have been the probability of seeing five drops out of seven trading days, if we instead had assumed different up-day probabilities, ranging from 25%, to 75%? We see in the chart below, that as our assumption for the daily chance for an up day increases, the probability of having five drops (out of seven trading days) falls well below our 16% baseline.

Put differently, having five drops out of seven is less probable (from 16% to 6%) if we switch from assuming a fair 50% up-day probability to a slight up streak characterized by 60% up-day probabilities. Conversely, as the daily chance for an up day decreases, the probability of having five drops (out of seven trading days) rises well above our 16% baseline.


Let's then use our assumed probability for an up day to better explore our likelihood of outcome. We know that the chance that we are in a general phase that is far from "fair" (i.e., normal 50% probability of an up day) decreases the farther away the up-day probability is from 50%. Being in a strong up streak (e.g., 75% up-day probability) or in a strong down streak (e.g., 25% probability of an up day) for extended periods is simply not as likely versus being in a phase closer to a 50% up-day probability.

1 of 2

Select the service that is right for you!

COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Action Alerts PLUS
Try it NOW

Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
  • Weekly roundups
TheStreet Quant Ratings
Try it NOW
Only $49.95/yr

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
  • Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Stocks Under $10
Try it NOW

David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
  • Weekly roundups
Dividend Stock Advisor
Try it NOW

Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
  • Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Real Money Pro
Try it NOW

All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.

Product Features:
  • Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
  • Intraday commentary & news
  • Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Options Profits
Try it NOW

Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • 100+ monthly options trading ideas
  • Actionable options commentary & news
  • Real-time trading community
  • Options TV
To begin commenting right away, you can log in below using your Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID or Yahoo login credentials. Alternatively, you can post a comment as a "guest" just by entering an email address. Your use of the commenting tool is subject to multiple terms of service/use and privacy policies - see here for more details.
Submit an article to us!
DOW 17,098.45 +18.88 0.11%
S&P 500 2,003.37 +6.63 0.33%
NASDAQ 4,580.2710 +22.5760 0.50%

Brokerage Partners

Rates from Bankrate.com

  • Mortgage
  • Credit Cards
  • Auto

Free Newsletters from TheStreet

My Subscriptions:

After the Bell

Before the Bell

Booyah! Newsletter

Midday Bell

TheStreet Top 10 Stories

Winners & Losers

Register for Newsletters
Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs