While both market research firms say shipments were down in the fourth quarter of 2013, they didn't shrink as much as expected. IDC said that PC shipments of 82.2 million units in the quarter represented a 5.6% decline, while it expected a 6% decline. Gartner's report says the market shrank by 6.9% with 82.6 million units sold.
Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner said "Strong growth in tablets continued to negatively impact PC growth in emerging markets." Neither report takes tablets into account.
Both IDC and Gartner agree that Lenovo was the top PC manufacturer in the fourth quarter, edging out competitor HP (HPQ).As the PC market slows, Intel has shown interest in other areas. At CES earlier this week the company showed prototypes of new wearable devices. The chipmaker also announced a new system that makes it possible to run Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows 8 and Google's (GOOG) Android on the same device. TheStreet Ratings team rates INTEL CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate INTEL CORP (INTC) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat weak growth in earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 10.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- Although INTC's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.24 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. To add to this, INTC has a quick ratio of 1.65, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $5,731.00 million or 11.34% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -12.49%.
- The gross profit margin for INTEL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 76.84%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 21.87% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: INTC Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts