BIRMINGHAM, Ala., Jan. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- BBVA Compass today announced the finalists in its Great Ideas for Small Business contest on Facebook, putting two $10,000 prizes within reach for five entrepreneurs.
Launched in October via an app on BBVA Compass' Facebook page, the contest provides a platform for qualifying small business owners and entrepreneurs to promote their ideas for a chance to win one of two $10,000 prizes to fuel business growth. Forty-six ideas were submitted and narrowed to five based on a tally of Facebook votes and scores by a panel of BBVA Compass judges.
The two prizes will be awarded following the final round of voting that ends January 15.
"Small businesses make up the majority of employers in the U.S. and are critical to sustaining our local economies," said Lonnie Hayes, small business segment director for BBVA Compass. "These five finalists represent the creativity and diversity that exist in small businesses throughout our communities. We're honored to help two contestants grow their businesses or move their innovative ideas forward."The finalists and their Great Ideas:
- Trevor Abbot, Gainesville, Fla. Spin Chill (Beerouette): A portable device that, according to Abbot, can chill a can of beer or soda 20 times faster than when it's sitting stationary in a cooler.
- Ed Adkins, Truth or Consequences, N.M The Centipede Sawhorse: Invented by Adkins for job sites and home improvement projects, the portable table base, which he says sets up in 3 seconds, supports sheet lumber and table tops.
- Jerry Gilbert, Lake Havasu City, Ariz . Pool Water Purification: A portable mechanical unit that allows pool owners to conserve swimming pool water by removing impurities on-site, returning the cleaned water back to the pool.
- Melanie Rainwater, Birmingham, Ala. Nutripilot: A web and mobile app tool that helps consumers navigate healthier food choices based on individual nutritional needs.
- Carmen Wooten, Birmingham, Ala. The Green Bottle Candle Company: The company partners with local restaurants to repurpose used wine bottles, using the bottles to create small batch natural soy candles.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV