Massive VIX Trade Looks Like a Defensive Position
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
2014 is well underway and as the 'polar vortex' headlines melt away, trader's focus is back on US and global economic conditions, tapering and the slew of earnings data set to be released over the next two weeks. Alcoa (AA) is typically considered the 'start' of earnings season, and their release last night has shares looking down about 5% pre-open Friday. While that move is double the typical gap in AA, option The AA weekly straddle closed near 5%, showing that Friday's move was already 'priced in' to the options.
Supercap financials JP Morgan (JPM), Wells Fargo (ticker), Bank of America (BAC), Citigroup (C) and Goldman Sachs (GS) report next week, just ahead of Jan expiry and then we start to get more tech names- including eBay (EBAY) and Netflix (NFLX).
While its early, it seems that 2014 has started with a more cautious mood in the equity markets with the S&P 500 relatively flat on the year and implied volatilities firming up. A massive CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) call spread traded yesterday, with a buyer of the Feb 16-20 call spread 110,000x to open a new position. Since VIX calls are equivalent to SPX puts, this is a defensive position that appears to indicate much more concern about a pullback (and/or spike in volatility) than seen through much of 2013.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV