Today's Water-Logged And Getting Wetter Stock: Tiffany (TIF)
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Tiffany (TIF) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Tiffany as such a stock due to the following factors:
- TIF has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $65.7 million.
- TIF has traded 336,013 shares today.
- TIF traded in a range 214.2% of the normal price range with a price range of $2.61.
- TIF traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 14 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 14 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in TIF with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for TIF NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on TIF: Tiffany & Co., through its subsidiaries, designs, manufactures, and retails jewelry worldwide. The company operates through Americas, Asia-Pacific, Japan, Europe, and Other segments. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.5%. TIF has a PE ratio of 25.4. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Tiffany a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 11 rate it a hold.The average volume for Tiffany has been 912,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Tiffany has a market cap of $11.7 billion and is part of the services sector and specialty retail industry. The stock has a beta of 1.80 and a short float of 2.9% with 4.38 days to cover. Shares are down 0.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Tiffany as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Specialty Retail industry average. The net income increased by 49.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $63.18 million to $94.61 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.36, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.07, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The gross profit margin for TIFFANY & CO is rather high; currently it is at 62.00%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 10.37% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $85.05 million or 7.36% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, TIFFANY & CO has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 4.43%.
- You can view the full Tiffany Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV