Ballard sold approximately 400 kW of its FCgn-1300 fuel cell stack to the Taiwanese company. M-Field will use the fuel cell stacks in multiple 100 kW fuel cell systems as part of a hybrid energy project that also includes wind turbines and solar power. The fuel cells will help store surplus energy from the wind turbines and photovoltaic panels.
TheStreet Ratings team rates Ballard as a "sell" with a ratings score of D-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
Must Read: Target (TGT) Scores Goldman Upgrade
"We rate BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC (BLDP) a SELL. This is driven by some concerns, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$4.84 million or 276.80% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC reported poor results of -$0.47 versus -$0.39 in the prior year.
- 36.56% is the gross profit margin for BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -26.51% is in-line with the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Electrical Equipment industry average. The net income increased by 49.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$8.95 million to -$4.51 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BLDP Ratings Report